Search This Blog

Monday, June 27, 2011

The connection between gut bacteria and restless legs syndrome

Some people's legs have a mind of their own. Their legs decide that they need to pace the room constantly instead of sitting. Their legs are responsible for the twisted knot of sheets at the end of the bed every morning. Their legs burn or tingle or get creepy-crawly sensations, especially when they try to sit down and relax.

Legs picture by Pedro Simões, via Flickr

Restless legs syndrome (RLS) is associated with an irresistible urge to move the legs. As you can imagine, this brings its own set of problems. A lot of the time, people with RLS have trouble getting to sleep or staying asleep - making them grouchy and unfocused in the daytime. The sensory and motor abnormalities in this syndrome have a neurological connection, but so far there is no clear answer about how to make restless legs go away.

According to one intriguing new study in Sleep Medicine, restless legs syndrome may be another thing connected to gut bacteria gone haywire.

The study came about because its investigators, Weinstock and Walters, had previously noticed that many people with celiac disease and Crohn's disease happened to have a diagnosis of restless legs syndrome.

They wondered: Does the reverse relationship hold between gastrointestinal problems and restless legs? That is, if we take a group of people with known RLS, would we find that they have more gastrointestinal problems than people with normal leg movement?

The gastrointestinal problems they were interested in studying were irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO).

Importantly, IBS is a "functional syndrome". That means doctors diagnose it based on reported symptoms rather than a specific test that confirms or disconfirms it. So to be fair, there's no guarantee that people with IBS have anything wrong with their gut bacteria. But in recent years IBS has been linked to SIBO, a condition that is definitely associated with too many bacteria hanging out in a neighborhood where they don't belong: the small intestine.

SIBO itself is diagnosed via an indirect method called the "lactulose breath test". The attraction of this method is that it involves nothing more invasive than drinking a cup of sugar solution and blowing into a plastic tube.

The researchers wanted to investigate both IBS and SIBO because each one indicates that something is going wrong with digestion; some patients have both problems, but others have just one or the other. They ended up with one measure of gastrointestinal distress that was based on reported criteria (i.e. IBS), and one that was based on measurable biology (i.e. SIBO).

People with restless legs syndrome discovered the study through ads that made no mention of gastrointestinal symptoms. Their diagnoses of RLS were confirmed by the investigators, and then each subject was assessed for both IBS and SIBO.

It turned out that IBS was diagnosed in 28% of subjects with restless legs syndrome, compared to 4% of the controls. In some of the cases, the IBS symptoms had appeared before the onset of the RLS symptoms. In others, the two problems started around the same time.

As for SIBO, the breath test showed it was present in 69% of the people with restless legs syndrome, compared to 28% of the controls.

The conclusion? People with restless legs syndrome have a greater incidence of IBS and SIBO - that is, a greater incidence of problems in the digestive system - than people without it. And in at least some people with restless legs syndrome, the associated gastrointestinal problem was related to bacterial overgrowth in the small intestine.

The research is far from concluding that gastrointestinal problems CAUSE restless legs or vice versa. But the researchers did confirm co-occurrence, and they also put forward the idea that there may be a common mechanism that leads to both: maybe some kind of inflammatory process in the body that leads to central or peripheral nerve damage, or a change in micronutrient absorption, resulting in restless legs.

In support of this, the researchers did an informal review of conditions that tended to co-occur with RLS; 89% of these disorders had been associated with inflammation or immune system activation.

In turn, the connection between inflammation and alterations in gut microbiota has strong support in the literature. But that's a topic for another day.

Lots of questions remain about restless legs syndrome, but the connection that this study made between restless legs and gut troubles seems to confirm certain clinical observations. We need more information though - let's hope this area of research stays alive and... kicking.

ResearchBlogging.org
Weinstock LB, & Walters AS (2011). Restless legs syndrome is associated with irritable bowel syndrome and small intestinal bacterial overgrowth. Sleep medicine, 12 (6), 610-3 PMID: 21570907

11 comments:

  1. Thank you now I know I'm not crazy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't heard of this but was toying with taking an 'inner health' good bacteria pill the other night. Not sure why, just instinct. God knows nothing else seemed to be working (mag./calcium pills, mag.glycinate pills, mag,chloride baths, iron via liver, potassium vis avacados and bananas... etc, ad nauseum). It was so bad last night that I called my husband home from work this morning in desperate tears and have been crying off and on all day trying to sleep, but the legs won't permit it.
    I'll take the pill now and see if it makes a difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very interesting! I've been having IBS and now have RLS. I want relief!!!

      Delete
  3. It is really hard to concentrate in what your doing when your restless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mycotoxins produced by fungi can produce restless leg syndrome. Myself and my son suffered when we stayed in a house where we were unknowingly inhaling toxic mould. Candida overgrowth in the gut can produce the same mycotoxins... resulting in the same symptoms. I had fibromyalgia symptoms due to the toxins. We both recovered within a year of moving out. I think candida overgrowth occurs in children following antibiotics. Probiotics are a good idea, plus an antiyeast diet for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First time I've heard about this restless legs syndrome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I started taking a probiotic supplement about a month ago when I was prescribed antibiotics. I just realized, this week, that my restless legs were considerably improved and I'm sleeping through the night for the first time in over 10 years. Proof enough for me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have RLS for very long time and I hard to remember a night when I slept all night without waking up. Heat pads / Hot showers / baking soda + water / leg press in gym are all temporary relief things .

    ReplyDelete
  8. I took a dose of antibiotics recently and it caused me to lose sleep for two weeks with a flare up of RLS.

    Tried tyrosine, magnesium, painkillers, even rubbing deep heat into my legs.

    I'm taking some baterial yogurts now and it seems to be helping somewhat.

    Think the antibiotics might have killed a lot of the bacteria in my gut.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Antibiotics definitely kill beneficial bacteria in your gut. My worst case of Small Intestinal Bacteria Overgrowth (SIBO) occurred after I had been hospitalized and treated for suspected pneumonia. Megadoses of antibiotics cured my fever but ruined my gut. Two different GIs put me through the same regimen of tests until they each determined I had a bad case of SIBO. Both saved the easiest and cheapest (nitrogen blow) test for last, after having ruled out other major GI syndromes. Both put me on more and different kinds antibiotics to try to cure it. Neither worked.
    The only thing that saved me was a diet I found here: http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info
    I stayed on this diet for 6 months. It worked immediately, doing wonders for my GI system and even eliminating the joint pain I was having in my shoulders and knees! Still have restless leg, unfortunately, and ropinirole (Requip) works for me, allowing a good night's rest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. God have been very kind to me, despite the hard times he made me go through but now I give him all the praise for relieving my mum of her stroke through the help of an herbal doctor by name Uwadia Amenifo. Helen Smith is my name, and we live in England. My mum was diagnosed of stroke eight months ago, and she was in so many pains as she can’t even walk, go to rest room, or move her body. She even has to excrete in her body most times. I am her only child, and I so much love my mum because my dad died when I was 4 years old. So I grew up in the hands of only my mum without fatherly care. It happened that when she was diagnosed of stroke by our family doctor her condition was still good by then, but in just one month after her diagnoses, her condition became very worst that the doctor then said her stroke is acute and no longer partial. And that it will only take God’s intervention for her to be well again and for her to be able to retain the full use of her brain. So her ailment continues until God intervened before God’s intervention, I have carried her to so many churches for prayers and have traveled very far to look for a cure for her. I Travelled to America to see some doctors if they can help even if its surgery they can carry out on her provided she don’t die, because I really needed her around me. It was in America an Endocrinologist by name Jill Marie Abelseth MD from Albany, NY told me about an herbal doctor who she knows of, that have successfully cured stroke/ human parasites. So she advised me to contact the herbalist, so I contacted him, and explained to him what my mum is going through, so he counseled us and asked few questions about my mum which I told him. So he prepared the herbs, and shipped it to me in England. I gave my mum the herbs just as he has instructed, and just exactly as he said that his herbs will totally cure my mum. His herbs really worked perfectly well, and cured my mum. As I write this testimony my mum is totally cured of her stroke and she has started her normal business as usual. So I want all here to help me thank Doctor Uwadia Amenifo for his great help in helping me cure my mum of her stroke with his herbal medicine. Please if you know of anyone who have stroke or who have one disease or the other and his/her doctor says there’s no cure to that disease please I want that person to contact doctor Uwadia Amenifo, and give him a try. His contacts are Email (doctoruwadiaamenifo@gmail.com) his number is (+2349052015874), His website is http://druwadiaherbalhome.simplesite.com/ Thanks

    ReplyDelete